Software marketing is tough. Products are complex. Sales cycles are long. Competition is high.
But can you really market software so it sells like hotcakes?
Yes, you can! The strategies and tactics are out there. You just gotta find them.
Over the years, I’ve been desperately searching for input. Unfortunately, there is no one go-to resource for software and SaaS marketing.
But there are some great blogs out there, written by industry leaders in the marketing and software industry.
Today, I’m sharing with you the results of a decade of searching the web for inputs on how to market and sell software and SaaS tools. Some of them you might know. Others might be totally new to you.
I’ve successfully implemented dozens of the strategies and tactics I’ve found in these blogs.
Feel free to hit me up if you have questions about some of them. I’m happy to help!
The Top Marketing Blog For SaaS
Founded by Neil Patel, one of the top 10 marketers worldwide according to Forbes, this comprehensive blog features everything marketing in regards to software and SaaS.
Don’t miss out on the following strategies and tactics.
Here are my five must-reads for any software and SaaS marketer from the Crazyegg Blog:
- How to Make Your Boring B2B SaaS Sound Sizzling Hot
- SaaS Marketing Done Right: How Buffer Turned Me Into a Paying Customer
- Understanding The Product Adoption Curve Could Totally Transform Your SaaS Marketing
- The Game of Thrones Approach to Powerful SaaS Free Trial Emails
- Hacking Your User Onboarding Process: 10 Strategies to Try Now
The Top Marketing Blog For Software
Neil Patel is a serial entrepreneur. Kissmetrics is another of his companies, grown almost entirely via content marketing. This blog is a bit more technical but features great info on software sales and marketing across the board.
Here are my five top reads:
- How SaaS Marketing is Different from Every Other Type of Marketing
- Customer Onboarding: Your Secret Sauce to Reducing SaaS Churn
- Stories are Told, Not Programmed: 3 Keys to Marketing Your SaaS Product to Human Beings
- 5 User Engagement Strategies for SaaS Product Marketers
- How Your Sales Team Can Leverage Content Marketing to Close More Leads
The Best Online Marketing Blog Out There
No worries, this is the last of Neil Patel’s blogs. This is the godfather of marketing blogs, featuring everything from SEO to lead generation to online and content marketing.
If you’re not following Neil Patel already, do so. You’ll be amazed how much high-quality content this top marketing blog provides!
Out of the myriads of great marketing strategies and tactics, here are a few to get you started:
- How to Get Started With Video Marketing
- How to Create Micro-Video Content like Apple to Get More Traffic, Leads, and Sales
- 3 Ways to Use How-To Videos to Sell More
- How to Create The Perfect Call-to-Action
- The Definitive Guide to Creating High Converting Landing Pages
The Best Copywriting Blog
Founded by Joanna Wiebe, a passionate copywriter, her copywriting and marketing blog gives you deep insights from a copywriter’s perspective.
Especially for technical software and SaaS products, there’s loads of advice to be found.
Follow this blog, and you’ll never get stuck again when writing about software and SaaS, no matter whether on your website, blog or social media.
Fun fact: Joanna Wiebe also writes for Neil Patel. Here are my top picks:
- We did these 7 things to a SaaS onboarding email sequence, and it tripled paid conversions
- Are Your Free Trial Emails Making You Look Desperate? Here’s How to Fix That
- Here are 19 growth hacks for your SaaS startup. They’re backed by science.
- Storyhacking: I show you how to crack the code behind the irresistible selling power of stories
- After Writing 500+ Pieces of Content and Analyzing the Most Popular Content Today, This Is What I Learned About “Engaging Content”
The Best Software Startup Blog
Alex Turnbull really created a masterpiece with his blog. In fact, he grew his customer support software startup only by content marketing!
The most outstanding characteristic of his blog is transparency: No matter whether it’s internal revenue or deadly problems he was facing, he shares his valuable lessons with us.
This is great marketing advice from a software startup’s perspective. But also as a seasoned software entrepreneur, you will find loads of great advice!
Have a look at these special posts – the essence is in the details:
- Behind the Scenes: How We’ve Built a $5M/Year Business in 3 Years With Content Marketing
- The Only 5 Content Marketing Tools You Need to Get Started
- How Our Product Update Emails Get a 68% Response Rate
- How Storytelling Increased Our Blog’s Engagement By 300%
- How We Created a Product Explainer Video That Actually Got People to Buy
The Top SaaS Blog
Lincoln Murphy is a definite authority in the SaaS space. Growth, pricing, and customer onboarding are his specialties.
Don’t be mistaken: I do believe that customer onboarding is nothing else than 100% marketing. It’s enabling your trial users so they can see and feel the benefits. And become happy customers.
Take a look at these great sales and marketing pieces:
- 3 Secrets of High-Converting SaaS Free Trials
- The Secret to Successful Customer Onboarding
- Understanding Your Customer’s Desired Outcome
- Let Your Customers Write Your Marketing Copy
- SaaS Marketing Plan: 5 Ways to Get your App to Sell Itself
The Top Blog For Customer Onboarding
If there’s a company out there that had dedicated itself to customer onboarding, it’s Intercom. Their blog features great insight and advice how to enable your customers and accompany them on their journey.
Here are my five recommendations to start with:
- SaaS marketing 101: marketing for growth and survival
- Screencasting: How to bolster customer onboarding with video
- Using case studies to tell your story for you
- Breaking the curse of knowledge in your writing
- What’s the story with your product?
The Most Comprehensive Marketing Blog
HubSpot is THE content marketing platform. That’s why their blog is just huge and filled with data-driven insights.
This is another blog I absolutely recommend you follow.
Here are my five top picks to give you further insights into video marketing, which I consider just ideal for software and SaaS businesses:
- The State of Video Marketing in 2018 [New Data]
- How to Start Using Video in Your Marketing
- The Complete Guide to Creating a Video Marketing Strategy
- 6 Viral Video Marketing Examples That Will Never Get Old
- 7 of the Best Promotional Product Videos Ever
Incredible Guides On Content Creation
MailChimp was the first software tool I’ve used that had personality.
I’m not exaggerating. The first tool to give me a “high five” after I had successfully sent out a newsletter. I just love it.
And I think that as software entrepreneurs we can learn a lot from MailChimp:
- How to stop make dead-boring software.
- How to put some fun into the tools.
- How to make it a bit more human.
Instead of some blog posts, I want to recommend two of my favorite guides:
This internal MailChimp guide gives great insight into how to write about software and technical stuff.
This guide explains how to adapt to the user’s feelings. A lot of great examples how to make the software texts and messages enticing.
Lots of great advice.
Have fun implementing!
You probably know some of the marketing blogs above. Or you might even follow some of them.
To be really frank: I’ve always liked learning. But implementing their strategies and tactics? That often took me a whole lot longer.
Which is why I really want to recommend that you squeeze in the time and pick the articles that have the biggest potential to move your business forward.
The above-mentioned articles and guides are my absolute favorites.
I have implemented dozens of their marketing & sales strategies in my own companies, especially selling B2B CRM, on-premise and SaaS.
What are your favorite sources and articles about software marketing? Please share them with us in the comments!